This post may contain some affiliate links. They are only for products that I have personally tried and recommend. Clicking on them may generate a small profit for me at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. See my disclosure for full details. Thank you for supporting this blog!
Kid’s love to pretend they are animals. There are plenty of kids yoga poses to help them in this endeavor.
In my Kid’s yoga classes, we do weeks of animal poses and most of them are done in conjunction with the ABC’s.
My kindergarten through second-grade classes all love doing ABC based poses, especially if they get to contribute and share their own favorite animals.
Animal Yoga ABC’s works because it is:
- fun to pretend to be animals
- easy to match animals to most letters
- gives them a chance to be a little noisy
- helps spark creativity in creating new poses
- develops literacy growth in my youngest students
I teach animal yoga poses and the yoga ABCs in many ways.
We go through each pose and hold it for about 10 seconds.
We say the letter, the animal name, and sometimes the sound the letter makes.
Then we try the same thing with a couple of other pose decks. My next favorite alphabet yoga set is here.
We start our animal yoga lessons by learning the poses in those books and cards.
However, none of those sets are JUST animal poses, so eventually, we decided to make up our own ABC’s of poses that are just animals.
Here’s a outline for an animal ABC’s Yoga lesson:
- Read an ABC yoga story
- Sing or say the ABC’s
- Name all the poses in the ABC book that are animals
- Who thinks they can help make up more animal poses to match the other letters?
- Reminder: poses are STILL like statues, not moving around the room. We need to make the shape of the animal to make a pose.
- Write the ABC’s on a chart or board
- Start with “A” and choose an animal and a pose to match
- Get as far as you can that day, and come back to it another lesson!
- Review all the poses up to where you left off each time (it takes my Kindergarten classes about 5-8 40 minute blocks to do the whole alphabet when we add in warm ups and cool downs to the lesson)
Ready to start teaching the Animal ABC’s right now?
Get the free download of the ABC pose images and lesson from my Free Resources Library here! Plus instant access to 10+ other kids yoga and mindfulness freebies.
C: cat and cow
D: downward facing dog
*Alternate pose: downward dog with one leg up!
*Optional to bring one leg forward at a time in a low runner’s lunge
R: rainbow fish
U: umbrella bird
X: x-ray fish
Well, there you have our very own, student-created set of animal ABC Yoga poses!
If you’d like to extend the lesson to another week or if you’d like to START with some ABC yoga ideas, I recommend this ABC Yoga book.
It’s really cute and a nice big sturdy size for little hands.
Each page has a pose and really adorable illustrations.
My older students like it too!
There are lots of animals poses, but some are not animals and that’s fun too!
Check out my other post with Themes for Teaching Kids yoga here.
Also, take a look at Teaching Kids Yoga Based on Child Development.
Don’t forget to join the Free Resources Library for your free PDF with the images below 🙂
Need some other games and activities for Kid’s Yoga? Grab my Yoga Games for Kid’s Bundle!
I hope you’ve enjoyed this post on animal and ABC yoga poses!
Have you come up with animal poses with your kids or classes? What were their favorites?