Welcome to a special New Year ‘s-themed yoga class designed specifically for kids.
In this class, we’ll embark on a journey of movement, relaxation, and fun, all while celebrating the spirit of the new year.
So, let’s gather our energy and get ready to shine bright like the stars!
New Year’s Yoga Celebration
The New Year is a time for fresh starts, new beginnings, and setting intentions.
In this yoga class, we’ll incorporate these themes through movement, breathing, and mindfulness exercises.
We’ll let go of negative energy from the past year and welcome new possibilities. This will help children develop a positive mindset for the future.
Introduction to Kid’s New Year’s Yoga Class
Before we begin, let’s take a moment to understand what yoga is all about.
Yoga is an ancient practice that combines physical movement, breathing exercises, and mindfulness to promote strength, flexibility, and overall well-being.
Yoga classes for kids are a little different, but the basics are still the same. We aim to build strength, flexibility, and balance all while having fun and playing pretend!
Breathing Exercises for the Coming Year
Breathing is a powerful tool that helps us relax and find our center. We’ll learn a simple breathing technique called “Balloon Breath” or “Belly Breathing.”
Many times, New Year’s Eve celebrations include balloons, especially black and gold balloons. Let’s pretend we have a balloon now to blow up. What color is your balloon?
Close your eyes and breathe in deeply, filling your belly up like a balloon. Hold it for three seconds, then slowly release the air through your mouth, imagining that you are blowing up your pretend balloon. Let’s do this three more times!
As we continue practicing yoga, let’s be sure to use these breathing techniques to help guide us through the practice. Breathing deeply helps us in creating space within each posture.
Warm-up (5 minutes) Sun Salutation for Kids
We’ll start our class with a traditional Sun Salutation, also known as Surya Namaskar in Sanskrit.
This sequence is a great way to warm up our bodies and get our energy flowing.
This is the perfect New Year yoga sequence to symbolize fresh beginnings as we welcome the sun, which rises anew each day.
- Let’s begin by standing at the top of our mat with our feet together, hands at our hearts in prayer position.
- As we inhale, let’s reach our arms up to the sky, and as we exhale, we’ll fold forward at our hips into a forward fold.
- Next, let’s step our right foot back into a lunge position while keeping our left foot planted firmly on the ground. Keep your right leg straight if you can.
- As we inhale, we’ll raise our chest and gaze towards the ceiling for a gentle backbend, and as we exhale, we’ll bring our right foot back to meet our left in a plank position.
- From here, let’s lower down into a push-up (or modified push-up on our knees) and then press up into upward-facing dog pose.
- Finally, let’s tuck our toes under and lift our hips up into downward-facing dog pose, taking a few deep breaths in this pose.
- Step your right foot forward for just a moment, take a deep breath, and then step your left foot up again into a forward fold.
- Inhale and sweep your arms up and out as you return to standing tall in mountain pose.
Now, let’s repeat this sequence with the left foot stepping back first into a lunge to stretch your other leg equally.
After completing both sides, we’ll return to standing at the top of our mat.
New Year’s Themed Poses
Let’s dive into the heart of our New Year-themed yoga sequence. Each pose represents a special intention or symbol for the year ahead.
Do you have a New Year’s resolution? Let’s brainstorm a few possibilities together:
- Eat healthy foods to nourish our bodies
- Practice mindfulness with deep breathing
- Let go of negative thoughts or grudges
- Achieve a specific goal or dream
- Stay aware of the present moment
No matter what your resolution may be, let’s connect to them with intention and focus.
By incorporating these poses into our New Year’s yoga practice, we can set intentions and bring positive energy into the upcoming new year.
Remember to listen to your body and make modifications as needed.
Lie on your stomach and lift your chest off the ground looking straight ahead, representing transformation and shedding old habits.
Come to a kneeling position and rest your forehead on the ground, symbolizing the egg – a place of growth and transformation.
Sit on the ground, bring the soles of your feet together, and gently flap your knees like butterfly wings, embodying growth and change.
Feel the strength of the mountains and grounding energy within you and, ready to tackle any challenges that come your way.
Stand tall and strong like a tree, symbolizing growth in the new year.
Open your arms and legs wide, shining bright with confidence and positivity.
Stand with one leg forward and one leg back, strong and fierce like a warrior, ready to take on whatever comes your way.
Kneel with your hands on your lower back, opening up your heart and throat chakras, symbolizing the courage to speak your truth.
Sit comfortably with crossed legs, like a beautiful lotus flower blooming, representing a fresh and beautiful start to the year.
New Year’s Themed Book with Poses Added
Let’s read a New Year-themed book together: The Stars Will Shine by Cynthia Rylant. We can add some yoga poses to each page to have even more fun.
The book is a simple story of the cycles of life and helps us bring awareness to the way life continues onward each year.
After reading the words on each page, try a yoga pose that matches the words:
- “The Stars will still shine”: Star pose
- “The birds will fly over us: Airplane pose (Warrior 3 with arms out to the side)
- “The cows will have calves”: Cow pose
- “The kittens will sleep”: Cat pose
- “Flowers will bloom”: Flower pose
- “We shall have pie”: Pizza pose (Wide-Legged Seated Forward Fold)
- “We shall have ice cream”: share your favorite flavor of ice cream!
- “Homes will be warm”: Firelog pose
- “We’ll curl up together”: Child’s Pose
- “Love will be strong”: Tree Pose
- “Growing and Growing”: (Switch sides for Tree pose on the other foot).
- “There will be light”: Candle Pose
- “The stars will still shine”: Star pose
- End the book with savasana (resting pose) and listen to the chime of a bell like a singing bowl.
After the story, if you have time to continue the practice move on to some art activities or a series of group poses:
New Year’s Art Activity Based on Resolutions
Let’s get creative! Creating a vision board is an awesome way to visualize your New Year’s resolutions. Let’s look forward to the new year with ideas for life goals.
Grab some scissors, glue, and a poster board. Cut out pictures and words from magazines that represent your hopes and dreams for the upcoming year.
Once you have all your images and words collected, arrange them onto the poster board in any way you like.
You can add your own ideas with colored pencils and markers. Let your inner artist express itself!
Add other decorations like ribbon, lace, buttons, glitter, or stickers.
Once everything is glued down, let it dry, then be sure to share your vision board with others in the class or at home. Finally, display it somewhere prominent to remind yourself of your goals throughout the year.
Fun Partner or Group Yoga Poses
Now it’s time for some interactive fun! Let’s try some group yoga poses that promote teamwork and celebration. Together, we’ll build some fun shapes, symbolizing the strength and unity we can achieve when we work together towards a common goal.
Here are a few to try out:
- Partner Boat Pose: Sit facing each other with your feet touching. Hold onto each other’s hands and lift your legs up, balancing on your bottom.
- Group Tree Pose: Stand in a circle, holding hands, or placing palms onto your neighbor’s. Lift one leg off the ground and place the sole of your foot against your other leg. Hold for a few breaths, then switch legs.
- Group Lotus Pose: Sit in a circle with your legs crossed and holding onto each other’s arms. Lean back and lift your legs off the ground, creating a lotus flower shape.
- Group Shoulder Stand Pose: Sit in a circle, facing outward, then lie back. Place your hands on each other’s shoulders and lift your legs off the ground. Use each other for support as you come into a full-shoulder stand, or connect your feet together!
Remember to communicate and work together as a team while trying these poses. Don’t worry if you fall or lose balance, it’s all part of the fun!
And don’t forget to take some silly photos to capture the memories.
Get creative and come up with your own group designs! Remember to listen to each other’s suggestions.
Closing Relaxation Techniques
To complete our yoga class, we’ll wind down with a relaxation meditation to clear our minds of old energy that no longer serves us.
We’ll use deep breathing and visualization to release any stress or negativity, focusing on the positive energy of the year to come.
As we come to a close, take some time to reflect on your experience during this New Year’s themed yoga practice. How do you feel physically, mentally, and emotionally?
Remember that just like in yoga, growth happens slowly but surely. Keep these feelings with you as we move forward into the new year.
Thank yourself for showing up and committing to your practice, and carry this sense of self-care and reflection with you throughout the rest of your day.
Namaste, my friends, and happy new year! May it be filled with peace, love, and growth. Keep practicing yoga and spreading positive vibes wherever you go